Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

Whew! What a day! Well, more like night. Things weren't too crazy during the day. In fact, it was sort of nice, because I think there were many families in the same boat as us this morning, trying to get their kids to school dressed in costumes, or take care of other stuff involving Halloween. Everyone seemed to be focused on their thing. The 5 freeway was even kind of empty after I dropped Tyler off. Usually, it's pretty slow going. 

Vincent went to school as a race car driver. Tyler opted not to wear a costume to daycare. He did, however, wear his new shirt from Disneyland. I don't have pictures of them from the morning, but I do have a couple of Vincent from when I picked him up after school.
Vincent checking out his Halloween treat bag from school.

During my alone time this morning, I went to the gym and "wogged" 3 miles. I mostly jogged, and it felt good. While on the treadmill, I thought of two things: 1) I decided I wanted to be a witch for Halloween so I'll go to Value Village after the gym, and 2) while up on Capitol Hill, I'll call my friend, Jared, to stop by his office and say "hi," since it's just around the corner.

And, that's just what I did. I went looking for a witch's hat at Value Village and didn't find what I was looking for. I think I may have found it had, I looked on one particular rack before this other lady, as she took the last hat there. Oh well. I did, however, find a pair of size 2T overalls for $2.99, for Tyler's train engineer costume. He already had a pair in mind for tonight, but it's a size 18 months. He can still fit it, except that they're about 2-3 inches too short.

While at Jared's office, I got to see his super cool DIY treadmill desk. I need me one of these.
Seriously impressive.

Then, I had a little lunch at Odd Fellows. I had a pretty yummy grilled gruyere sandwich with caramelized onions and pears. Too soon, it was time to pick up the first of my kids.

Vincent and I had a really nice afternoon together, actually. He was happy that I let him look through his Halloween bag. Then, he was happy that I let him have a treat in the car. We went to Walgreens to see if I could find my witch's hat. Bingo! And, we needed half and half, so we went to QFC. He was so well behaved at both places. When we got home, I let him play a new game on my iPhone while I got stuff ready for our evening. Then, it was time to pick up Tyler.

From the moment we got home, the evening got busy. I needed to make dinner, the boys needed to get dressed, Audrey came over to borrow something, and the boys were excited to go trick or treating. David arrived home shortly after, and the excitement intensified. 
After dinner, David and I got dressed and we headed out. It was already dark. Our first stop was our neighbor, Melissa's house. Then, we ran into a friend of Vincent's, and we all had the same destination of going to our neighborhood "trick or treat street," as they call it. It's a few blocks away, so we stopped at a few houses along the way. 
One of the houses was too scary for Tyler, but it was actually a really fun house. The kids had to earn their treats by either singing a song or telling a joke. Vincent told a joke. Here's Tyler hanging back with Daddy.
Okay, I mostly just wanted you to see David's costume. And, he almost didn't wear the whole thing.
Here's Vincent telling his joke.
This Trick or Treat Street was pretty intense. Hundreds of people. We weren't quite prepared for it, and I sort of freaked out. Vincent wanted to stay with his friend the whole time, and they were faster than Tyler. We finally had to set up some ground rules for Vincent. Well, just one: after each house, he needs to locate one of us first before running off to the next. I mean, at one point, I felt like I was going to push people over to catch up to him. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but there was lots of me shouting, "VINCENT, WAIT!!"

All-in-all, it was a lot of fun. We all eventually got into a groove and all the kids stayed together and had a great time. Check out the loot.
Each boy was promised two pieces of candy. They shared some with us, too. Even Stella wanted to get in on the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment