Saturday, October 8, 2011

2nd Shift At Lark

I've been "back to work" now for about a month, but have only been Lark's kitchen just 2 nights so far. Tonight was my second night. A little bit of the excitement of going being back has worn off, although it's still there. I've definitely realized that going back full-time would be nearly impossible for me to do. I mean, anything is possible, but at a price. The price would be my time spent with my family. This is why it's taken me so long to even attempt to work. I'm happy to be doing what I'm doing now, and I feel fortunate to have this opportunity. It's just right. I'm hoping that I'll get mostly up to speed soon so that I can be more useful, and feel more comfortable over all. I know I'm only there one day a week, and it's tough to become a pro at anything spending just 8 hours a week doing it, but I kept thinking to myself tonight, "Wow, I used to be good to this." Now, I almost panic when the Garde Manger cook goes off the line to get something from the walk-in and I'm left on the station by myself, even though there are plenty of people to help me, and it wasn't that busy. And, seriously, I can plate a trio of cheese and crackers, make salads, etc. It's the thought that in the few minutes he's gone I may get an order, or two, for cheese, a couple of salads, madoleines, maybe a tartare, and I'd have to walk a rosti over to John's station. Mind you, all this, and more, I've done in the past, on my own, and kicked some serious ass. I guess I should just remember the words of my old friend and co-worker, Lauren, "You'll get there."

On the Hunt-front, Vincent and I went to Chinese school this morning with Sabriya. We picked her up on our way. I dropped the kids off, and was so tired that I came back home and took a nap. After I picked them back up, Vincent and I had lunch with David and Tyler. Then, I took another (shorter) nap. Man, I've been tired! It's the sick kids wearing me out.

Tonight, David cooked the boys chicken pot pies from Whole Foods and his soon-to-be famous glazed carrots. Ooh, those puppies were good. I had some when I got home. I guess Saturday nights are now the one night a week of cooking David has been saying he'd do for a couple of years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment