Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Another Donut and Some Yard Work

Tyler didn't finish his donut the other day. I don't know why I didn't just throw it way, but it's been sitting on our kitchen counter since Sunday afternoon. This morning, he spotted it, and wanted it for breakfast. It was dry and stale. David told him it's probably not any good, but he insisted on having it. Did he actually eat it? Not really. Finally, when it was time to get out the door, I told him it's time to toss out the donut. This brought him to tears.

Now, normally, I don't cave like this, but he barely ate that donut in the first place, so I quietly told him that after the gym this morning, we will stop at Top Pot and he can get another donut. One without any sprinkles, though. This pleased him.

Unfortunately, in my excitement to get make my child happy, I forgot that I had an appointment for my flu shot at noon. Doh! And, I didn't remember until way later. Ugh. Now, I'll need to reschedule. Not usually a big deal, but actually, it is. It's tough for me to get a moment to make the phone call, and possibly wait on the line for my call to "be answered momentarily."

Anyway, Tyler had a donut for lunch, and we went to the playground for a little while since it was sunny. We didn't have to pick Vincent up from school, so we went home and I got him down for an early nap. Tylie picked out a powder cake, by the way. He also picked one out for Vincent.
 My favorite one.

Once he was down, I headed outside and worked on the front yard. We've had about 50 tulip bulbs to put in the ground that were still in a bag in the garage. We also had some anemones and renunculas to plant. I'm pretty proud of myself for all the work I did. First, I put some of the flower seeds into small pots. I figured I'd start there and see if I could get into gardening today. That felt good, so I did a little weeding. That was good, too. So, then I pulled out a big shovel and started to turn some soil, and pull up more unwanted stuff. I decided that I wanted to define where one of the beds are, so I took some of the logs my dad cut up from trimming the trees, and used them for my edge. Sort of like you would with rocks or bricks, etc. It looks alright. A bit rustic. Then, I spread some grass seed around the outside of that bed. Then, I put down some bulbs and seeds. That was the biggest part of my gardening. I still had some seeds left, so I cleaned the area around the very front and put some of them there. We still have about 20 tulip bulbs, though. Sigh. Another day.

Thank goodness for a sunny day in Seattle.

Tyler woke shortly after I was done, and Vincent arrived home soon after. He was at a playdate at Henry's house. Vincent and Tyler watched a terrible cars video we found on Netflix for 33 minutes, and then it was time for Vincent to head to karate.

As for karate, he's slowly getting better at staying focused and following directions. He has stopped falling down on purpose, and is getting a couple of the moves *sort of* down. I'm not too worried about the technique, but more about the class behavior. He is probably second to the youngest in class, and some of the older kids still have some trouble with the moves.

Dinner tonight, we had Paul over. His family is in Hungary for 6 weeks, so we thought he could use a little company.

No comments:

Post a Comment