Saturday, October 15, 2011

My Busy Busy Day

That's exactly what it was. David had to pull an all-nighter for work, getting into bed around 4:30am. He worked from home, at least. He had to do more work in the morning, so the plan was for me to take both kids to Chinese school this morning. Unfortunately, I didn't get to bed at the early time I intended. I was trying to do an update on my iPhone for OS 5, and kept running into road blocks. I finally gave up, but wasted at least an hour at the effort. So, I was sluggish, and needed coffee. I thought, "Oh, I'll just run over to Fuel and get a couple of lattes for David and I, then take the kids to school." That set us back a half hour, so we were super late to class. Oops. Sorry, Vincent.

While at the school, I needed to chat with a few other moms about some stuff. Tyler was not having it. He was pretty patient at first, but eventually was tugging me away. I took him to the nearby mall to get some Halloween supplies for Vincent's various classes. Tyler was such a good sport about it. Party City has so much for, well, anyone to be overwhelmed with, but especially the little ones. There's a whole section of cheap toys and candies in bins. Tyler was amazing. He didn't ask for anything and just waited for me to get what I needed or ask for his opinion. I finally let him pick out something small. He got a pack of Thomas balloons and a $.25 pack of gummy bears (you can imagine how small this pack was). They blew up on balloon for him, and he was thrilled. He even saved one last gummy for Vincent.

After school, we came home for lunch. I took a cat nap, and then headed out to work.

Work was busy. Chef had prepared us for a busy night, but it didn't turn out quite as busy as anticipated. There were a couple of no-shows for reservations, but it was still non-stop. I didn't need to help out on the line, but I had a bunch of prep items to do. It was good. I felt like a task master. Here's what I worked on/made today (not in order):
-roasting and stuffing little peppers with a sauteed corn mix
-porter/ginger cake batter
-pasta dough
-portioned pasta and braised lamb
-peeled and sliced baby carrots
-peeled roasted beets
-pureed soup
-toasted almonds
-peeled tomatoes
-sliced cauliflower
-shucked and hulled 11 ears of corn

Along with all this, I helped the line cooks get stuff, here and there, chopped some chives a couple of times, transferred stuff into storage containers, cleaned and mopped the floors, and scooped some ice cream. I'm not complaining, at all. I was busy, but it felt good to be so productive. And, for the most part, I don't need a ton of direction, which makes me feel useful. Oh, and those chives! Evan, our lead line cook, took one look at the ones I cut, and proclaimed, "These are the best looking chives I've ever seen!" Moments later, he offered me a piece of seared foie gras that was too small to be served, but not too small to be eaten by yours truly. And, at the end of the night, you bet I had myself a shift drink. Rose, please.

Here's a picture of my sidekick, Saul, making pork rillettes. I tasted them. YUM.


No comments:

Post a Comment