Friday, September 30, 2011

Tot Basketball

Another day with one kiddo under the weather. Bummer. But, his fever's gone, and I certainly couldn't stay in the house with them all day - especially not Tyler.

Let's just briefly talk about Tyler. He is totally a 2.5 year old these days. Kind of a terror. I truly can remember Vincent at this age, and he was pretty ferocious then, too. The difference now is that we don't have a 6 month old baby, and Tyler's not potty training. These were the days with Vincent when I'd say, "Where is his 'OFF' button!!" Tyler is nonstop. Super inquisitive, super opinionated, super...well, two years old! And, on top of it all, he's more fearless than Vincent ever was. Remember that broken leg back in the spring?

And, so, that is why I must get out of the house with these guys. If they don't kill each other, they may kill me.

I remembered that there's a tot basketball class that takes place around 11am on Fridays. We got there 30 minutes late, but they have a special right now where we can drop in and try the class out for $2/child. Tyler's actually too young for the class, but I paid for him anyway, since I can't stop him from playing. Unfortunately, once inside, he didn't really want to play. Vincent was into it, but then he bonked his nose (which was already hurt from yesterday at Kids Quest) with the ball, and was done. Watching them made me realize two things.

#1 - My kids don't really know the first thing about basketball. Vincent sort of knows that you need to get the ball through the basket, but this was his first introduction to dribbling. Wha?! Yeah, that's pretty much the look he had on his face.
#2 - Tyler's kind of like a wild animal. A caveman (sorry Geico Caveman Dude). Slightly barbaric.

We lasted about 20 minutes. Vincent did say that he wants to try again next week, but was just done for today. Hmmmm. Karate starts Tuesday. Let's all pray that it goes better than today.

But, here are a couple of pictures!
That's pretty much as far/high as the ball got for Tyler.

Vincent had better luck. He made a couple of baskets!

AND, if you are wondering about me and work, tonight, I did an event with Lark for the Capitol Hill Housing Authority called Omnivorous. It was really fun. I got to chat with several chefs I haven't seen in some time, including Eric Bahn of Monsoon, and Scott Staples of Restaurant Zoe and Quinn's. This is one of those events that makes this business seem glamorous, even though it was pretty casual. At least, to a sort of outsider, looking in. Yeah, really, I'm still kind of an outsider. Which is totally fine with me. I feel thankful to be where I am at. I love it, actually. It gets me excited about food, again, to be around others who are so passionate about it. Okay, okay, I never stopped being excited about food. But, this is a nice boost.


No comments:

Post a Comment