Thursday, August 11, 2011

Puppets In The I.D. & Ice Cream In The Park

This morning, the boys and I met up with Brianna, Liam and Lexi for a puppet show in the International District's community center. I've been the the library (next door) many times, but never to the community center. They had a room there with a bunch of ping pong tables lined up in a row, and three teenaged boys playing. It was good timing, actually, because during breakfast, David told Vincent the story about Forest Gump. He remembered to include the part about Forest playing ping pong, which made Vincent ask all about it. What a nice surprise when I saw those boys playing and was able to tell Vincent, "That's ping pong they're playing!" He quite enjoyed watching them play, though they weren't any good.

The puppet show was fun. Puppeteers are so talented. After the show, there was a little time before the library opened, which was our next stop, so we headed to the playground nearby.

Though I packed us a lunch, we ended up bringing it home and eating it here. Gosh, we walked into the house and the boys both started barking a bunch of requests at me. Mind you, they came up the stairs empty-handed, while I carried all of our crap up. I was unpacking the lunch to set up for them to eat, and one's trying to reach for everything off the counter the moment I put it there, and the other's asking for milk, again, and again. I lost it. I set everything down, and headed to our bedroom and shut the door. Of course, I couldn't just stay there the whole afternoon. I took a deep breath, and went back out to finish what I had started. I sort of felt defeated.

After naptime, things were much better, again. Just a little hiccup to the day, right? Since it was warm out, I quickly gathered us up, and we headed to the wading pool.

On the way, I stopped to get an iced latte. In my mind, I was thinking that I got a treat, so maybe if they ice cream truck comes by at the park, I'll let them get a little something. Sure enough, no more than a couple minutes after we sat down on the grass, and the boys started snacking (rather than wading in the pool), the ice cream truck comes tinkling along. I wasn't ready to get them ice cream. And, they didn't ask for it, even though they were both VERY interested in it. Tyler did a little dance to the music, even. So, then I thought to myself, "If it comes back around before we leave, I'll let them get something." Although, I'm not entirely sure I even had enough money. Lucky for us, a friend walked up with a box of mini ice cream cones and offered some to us! She had just bought them at the store, but then realized they were going to the park and can't leave it in the car. Perfect!

Finally, tonight's dinner was Poulet Basquise...I'll have to write about it another time, as it's late, late, late. Thank you, Anthony Bourdain.

No comments:

Post a Comment