Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Nonstop Day

The day started with Tyler waking around 2am due to his congestion from his cold. I comforted him for a while, then we all went back to sleep. Then, he was up again, but I don't know the time. David went to check on him and he had wet through his diaper on to his bed. Changed him, etc., went back to sleep. Around 6:30am, Ty woke, again, and we brought him to bed with us. He did fall back to sleep, but I pretty much laid awake until Vincent came down about an hour later. 

I got out of bed and had a bee in my bonnet (I get those a lot) for homemade waffles. So, I pulled out the iron, my recipe and the ingredients. Then, I saw the time. Darn. We have to get to Chinese school. 

Unfortunately, we only had about 30 minutes. This included getting Vincent dressed, myself dressed both of us fed, and driving there. And, I didn't want to go back into our room to get my clothes because I didn't want to wake David and Tyler.

We eventually did all those things, made it to class a half our late, and Vincent managed to completely piss me off on the ride there. That boy has little patience, and even less respect for me. Or, so it seems. 

While Vincent was in class, David texted me, asking if I could send a picture of myself waving. Apparently, when I pulled out of the garage, Tyler was upstairs looking out the window and waving to me, the way he always does if I leave somewhere without him. I failed to notice and drove off without waving back. He was very upset over this and dwelled on it for a long time. Again, love the iPhone. I sent a picture of me waving, and David sent one back of Tyler.
That's all it took to put him in a better mood. Cute.

After Chinese school, I brought Vincent home, loaded up some stuff I needed for a "catering" gig, and stuffed my face with a microwave burritos, before dashing out the door. 

This catering gig wasn't really that. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to my friend, Irma, at the gym that if she knows anyone looking to do small parties and need food made, please consider letting me know. Especially with the upcoming holidays, I figured I may be able to pick up a couple of gigs here and there. Maybe. 

So, Irma hired me to cook risotto for a bridal shower. I made two kinds: plain and mushroom. I haven't made risotto in a long time. Yum, it was tasty. I felt proud.

Soon as I finished cooking, I rushed off, again, to go cook some more, at Lark. Tonight, I made individual cheesecakes, peeled and poached prawns, peeled and cut carrots, and then I got called up to help out on the line. 

This is exciting stuff, if not a little stressful. The thing is, I used to help out like this all the time back in the day. No, I used to be the one cooking, plating, rushing around, looking like a bad-ass-rockstar-cooker. Now, it's 25 year old Evan. He's good. But, it's so exciting to be in the middle of it all, called to back them up. The stressful thing about it was that I didn't want to mess up and make it worse for them. Thankfully, at the end of the night, the servers said, "I think you really helped them a lot tonight." And, the angels sang, "Aaaahhhhhhh!"

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, David and the boys had corn dogs and a burrito for lunch. Tyler didn't take much of a nap, because he was having trouble with his cough. The boys hung out and played a lot. They ordered Indian food to be delivered for dinner ( www.eat24hours.com ), played some more, then watched T.V. and had popcorn. The boys made sure that David saved me some naan and basmati rice. So sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment