Sunday, November 13, 2011

Better Than Bieber

A college friend of David's is in town: Justin. Oh, yeah, I think I mentioned that on Friday. But, thanks to Justin's visit, we had friends over for brunch this morning. Yes, we should do it more often, in general, but since we don't, I'm glad we had a reason today. There was lots of yummy food. Nate and Kate brought over bacon and Mighty O donuts, Zoe brought tons of fruit, Paul brought sausage and some eggs from his chickens, I cooked up some eggs that Paul brought the previous time he was here, and sausages, and John and Andrea brought hot cocoa fixins. 

I personally don't know Justin Bieber, but I know that our Justin is better, fo' sho'. 

My favorite part of this morning was when Vincent said to the guys, "Guys, I was thinking I wanted to have you all over for a play date, and now look, you're all here!" He gathered all the men, and one woman, and they were all going to have a ninja battle. He excluded all the moms. He said that I couldn't battle because I'm the "ninja cooker."

After everyone left, we all rested. Actually, the boys did. David raked leaves for a while, I swept and mopped the floors, and then David napped. 

For dinner, I made this beef stir fry with sliced flat iron steak that I had marinated a few days ago. I used sesame oil, salt, ginger, garlic and a touch of brown sugar. I rarely cook with cornstarch, but this was one of those dishes that could stand to have it. We ate it with brown rice. It was delicious, and the beef was super tender.

After dinner, we all tried to go to Barnes and Noble, but Tyler was misbehaving. He just wouldn't listen to David, so after one meltdown, he said he was going to be better, but then reverted to his messing around. Yes, he's only 2. But, his behavior needed to be addressed, and so he and David stayed home. It turned out nice, though, for us all. Vincent and I enjoyed each others' company at the bookstore, while David played trains with Tyler and gave him a bath. 

When we got to the store, there was stuff on clearance. I love a good bargain. So, we browsed, and found this science kit on the human body. It came with a clear plastic model of a human, with squishy body parts that you can take apart. There was also a book talking about the different parts. Vincent studied that thing for a while, and then asked if we could get it. It wasn't cheap, but it was on sale. I figured it's educational, so I caved. Now, I need to commit to exploring the human body with him. We actually have already because of this book I bought for him a couple years ago called, "Why We Eat." It talks about how food helps different parts of the body and how it gets used to keep us healthy. We also found him a Lego Ninjago book. It has a story about Kai, the Fire Ninja. We also got a book for Tyler, and some beginner math books for Vincent.

Ooh, and V and I had a dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment