Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Big Scare

Before I go into what was so scary today, let's just talk about the rest of the day.

Once again, I got Vincent to school late. This time, it was pretty much all me. I just couldn't get it together fast enough to get us out. At least, Ty and I didn't have to be anywhere until 10am, and even that we could be late. 

Tyler and I met up with our friends from Seattle Central down in Columbia City. It was sunny out, but cold, so we went into the toddler gym at the community center. We were the only ones there to start, and it was nice for him to get a chance to play with the toys on his own. We got to see Brianna and Lexie for the first time in weeks. The kids were super excited to see each other. Ty rode around on a tricycle a little.
This afternoon, we met up with other friends at the playground. Vincent and Julian were super happy to see each other and play. Right away, Julian asked, "Hey, wanna play ninjas?" Wow, it's everywhere!
Of course, Tyler went on the swing.
As for tonight's scare, it started with me pulling up to the house after the playground and noticing the side gate was open. I wouldn't have worried since it was trash day, and thought maybe David left the gate open after taking out the trash. Only, I couldn't remember if it was opened when we left. Then, I looked at the side of the house and saw the pantry light on. Again, I couldn't remember if I left that on or off. All other lights were off. 

I called David and asked about the gate. We figured that it probably didn't get closed all the way, and the wind must've blown it open. And, I probably just forgot to turn the pantry light off, as I do that all the time. I left the kids in the car, and walked around the house checking the back, etc. All seemed fine. I kept David on the phone with me as the kids and I went inside. Just as I walked into the house, my phone cut out on David. Right away, I tried to call back, but my phone wouldn't turn on. Weird. It completely shut down, and I couldn't get it back on. I tried plugging it in, etc. with no luck. 

Because the phone died just as I walked in the house, I knew David would think something was wrong. I didn't want him to worry, but how was I going to get a hold of him? I got on my computer and remembered that we can do FaceTime now! I tried that, but no answer. So, I got all our shoes on and went across the street to borrow a phone. Straight to voicemail. 

We came out of the neighbors house to find police officers outside our house. Oh no! David really was worried! Since they were here, I went ahead and had them go through the whole house, just in case. I hadn't been upstairs yet, so it couldn't hurt, right? And, they even went into the basement, even though that's the way we had come in.

As the police were leaving David showed up. Poor David! He was totally out of breath from running from the bus stop. I tell you, I didn't want to scare David, but I also wanted to make sure he was on the phone in case there was someone in the house. Had I known my phone was going to do what it did, I wouldn't have kept him on the line. I'm paranoid, huh? But, I'm so glad it was nothing. I kept thinking, as I was trying to get a hold of David, "I hope nobody's hiding upstairs. This is not a cool way to go down." Again, paranoid, dark thoughts. I'm kind of bad ass these days, though.

Business as usual the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment