Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spring Break, Day 3

Vincent joined Tyler and I at Seattle Central this morning. David was planning on taking the car in to have our mirror fixed, so I planned to take the boys on the bus. The car thing didn't work out, but since I didn't need to drop off or pick up Vincent, I decided we'd take the bus anyway.
I put Tyler in the sling for the first time in ages. He still fit pretty well. He was still heavy, but it helped free up my hands. I could also hold Vincent's hand without my other arm getting super sore.
While at school, Vincent did pretty well. He had one of his favorite friends there today. They have a great time together, but can get a little rough, or bicker. I told him ahead of time my expectations of him while there. Like I said, he was good. Tyler, on the other hand, was upset about something. He cried for the first half of class. I kept asking if he'd like to go home, but his answer was "no." Finally, I snuck a couple of crackers from the ktichen for him, which calmed him, and then it was snack time. We make it all the way to the end, and even went to lunch with friends afterwards.

Both kids took afternoon naps. Thank goodness, cuz, even though it was a good morning, I was spent.

This is what I made for dinner tonight.
What is is? Cabbage-and-kielbasa salad (warm)

I found this recipe from America's Test Kitchen's 30 Minute Suppers magazine.
2 Tbl Dijon mustard (I only used 1)
2 Tbl honey
2 Tbl cider vinegar (I didn't have it, so I subbed with Banyul wine vinegar)
5 Tbl olive oil
1 pound kielbasa, cut on bias into 1/2-inch slices
1 red onion, halved and sliced thin (Doh! I read the recipe wrong and only used half of the onion)
1/2 tsp caraway seed
1 (16oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (I used Great Northern)
salt and pepper
1 head napa cabbage (about 1.5lbs), sliced thin
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (didn't use it)

1. Whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar and 4 tbl oil in bowl. Cook sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer sausage to plate and tent with foil.

2. Add remaining oil, onion, and caraway seed to skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned, about 12 minutes. Add beans and 2 Tbl dressing and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Reduce heat to low, add remaining dressing and cabbage to skillet, and toss until warmed through and slightly wilted, about 4 minutes. Off heat, stir in dill and season with salt and pepper. Top with kielbasa and onion-bean mixture.*

*I skipped the dill (as mentioned). I cooked the cabbage with the onions-beans, and tossed the kielbasa into the whole pan.  Now that I'm typing it all, it seems maybe they meant for the onions-beans to be cooked separately from the cabbage. Nonetheless, it turned out very nicely. I cooked the cabage a bit longer than it calls for, which produced a nice broth. I also roasted some fingerling potatoes, with I topped with this "salad."

After dinner, we went to Bellevue Square for the kids to play and for me to indulge in Red Mango.


And, this one's of Tyler waving at Vincent on the other side of the play area, yelling, "Hey Vincent!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment