Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Big Fat ZERO

Yup, zero was how much we spent today to get our car serviced at the dealer. Broken gas cap from last weekend, check. Leaky shocks, check. Power steering recall, check. Looking at my list makes it sound like we've been driving around a piece of shit. I guess it kind of looks like one cuz of our duct taped side mirror and cracked windshield. But, it's not, I swear! I love our car. Really. And, they got it all done super fast.

Not having the car this morning meant that the boys and I were travelling by bus. We got on, and Vincent ran straight to the back, with Tyler trailing after (and me, praying that nobody does a face plant as the bus starts up). We didn't go too far, just to the old community center. It was fun for me to catch up with some familiar faces, and fun for Vincent to play with Athena. As for Tyler, he just had fun, period.

When Athena spotted me, she came up and asked where Vincent was. I told her he was in the bouncy house, then I called to him to show him who was looking for him. He came out and was like, "Hi. C'mon," then turned to go back in to bounce. I asked him if he wanted to give her a hug. Both kids were so happy to see each other. Athena said to him, "I haven't seen you in so long. I've been looking for you, and I miss you." So sweet. Vincent sort of just shrugged it off. But, they had a blast together. They held hands almost the entire time they played. Since the sun was sort of out, we went to the playground afterwards. Vincent had a school friend there, too, and they began running around. Athena didn't like their game, so then she felt left out. It's always so interesting to see kids this age try to juggle more than one friend at a time. Eventually, another girl came up and played with her. When it came time to leave, Vincent went to say good-bye, and there was a moment of awkwardness with them, but then it passed. Funny.

Tonight, David and I went to dinner at Mistral Kitchen for Seattle's Restaurant Week. We both really enjoyed our meal. Here's what we ate:
David - 1) Hamachi crudo, 2) chicken breast with speatzle 3) chocolate mousse
Anny - 1) pork pate, 2) cod, 3) lemon cake

Sorry, I'm not doing these dishes justice with nice long, descriptive names. But, take my word for it, everything was tasty. The only slightly negative thing we'd say is that the hamachi needed a touch of sea salt sprinkled on top. It was a little flat.

David's chicken breast was yummy. They cooked it, sous vide, for a day and a half in 61 degrees C, then quick roast it to order in an oven at like a million degrees so it's nicely browned. His chocolate mousse was actually quite light, with a bourbon foam on top. It looked like a cappuccino.

My pork pate was amazing. So, so good. The cod, delish. It was light, flakey, flavorful. And, the lemon cake was a nice balance of sweet and tart. For some reason, maybe it was the second champagne cocktail talking, this dessert made me think, "If Hello Kitty was a dessert, this is what she'd be."

No comments:

Post a Comment