Saturday, December 31, 2011

Good -bye 2011

We started our last day of the year out with the boys waking us up at 7:30am. Not too early, but Tyler didn't get to bed until 10pm last night. I was hoping that maybe Vincent would get up and Ty would keep sleeping, but Vincent was coughing very loudly for several minutes. The boys watched some Curious George while David and I staying in bed. About 30 minutes or so later, Tyler announced, "Time to make breakfast! I'm going to make us breakfast, everybody!" That was our cue to get up.

Once up, we saw that Tyler did, in fact, begin to get breakfast going. He didn't do much, but he had a box of cereal out on the counter with the stool pulled up to it. Nobody ended up eating cereal, but Tyler helped make oatmeal and took items to the table. I think I need to enroll him in a toddler cooking class this summer. 

After breakfast, we dropped Vincent off at a birthday party kids' concert/new year's eve celebration with Caspar Babypants. Vincent's buddy, Liam, turned 5 years old yesterday, and today was his party. It was a really neat idea for a birthday. Good work, Mahoneys!

While at the party, David and I took Tyler across the street to the playground. We took turned riding with him down the zipline swing.
Then, we got coffee at Cafe Vita nearby, and went to PCC Natural Market for fixins for tonight's New Year's Eve stay-in. I found a simple brie that I'm going to wrap in puff pastry and bake. We also got pita chips and hummus, apples, and if I'm really ambitious, I may make mac 'n' cheese fritters (is there such a thing??) with the leftovers from last night. 

We got back to the community center where the concert was a few minutes early. We caught the last song, and also saw Vincent clowning around with a couple of friends. It's amazing to me how rough little boys are with each other. A-maze-ing. But, he had a great time, and that's what's important.

Lunch was at home: David had soup from PCC, I had a turkey and cheese on a pretzel roll, and the kids had tofu, broccoli and mac 'n' cheese. 


Both kids took a pretty decent afternoon nap. During this time, David and I took it easy. I ordered a bunch of cards on Hallmark.com. OMG, have you tried their card mailing service? It's cool. You can personalize your cards, address them, and they'll stamp and mail them for you. It's so nice. We also cleared out some stuff in the basement that needed to be donated. That was also nice. Not too much stuff, but probably about $200 worth. Last day of the year to make it count, so why not.


I told Vincent if he took a nice rest time, without coming out of the room over and over to ask if he was done, I had a surprise for both of them. They got their surprise: The first season of Cartoon Network's Ninjago shows. I found a video containing all the episodes on YouTube, that's about 44 minutes long. Vincent was definitely surprised and thrilled. Tyler was pretty excited, too.


Dinner was soy ginger chicken breasts with green beans and rice. Simple, but delicious. I got my baked brie prepared for later on, too. While I made dinner, David helped Vincent start one of his Lego sets, a Ninjago car that PopPop and Nana gave him.
After dinner, Vincent and I went upstairs and worked on building Legos. I finished the car while he worked on this safari set Uncle Jack and Aunt Alice gave him. He did great, only needing minimal help from me. I did good, too. Those Legos are amazing. David and Tyler played in the basement for a while with the Geotrax (and everything else!). They eventually came upstairs to hang out with us, building stuff with our first set of building bricks, MegaBlocks, that my cousin handed down to us years ago. We'll be passing those along soon, too. 


We let the boys have a snack downstairs before heading back for bed. They were pretty wound up. They have been a lot at bedtime lately. This was the second night in a row that they were put to bed without being read books, due to not settling down when asked several times. After we all said, "Goodnight," and left the room, Tyler came back down, saying, "I can't sleep there the whole time." Huh? I had told him that I'm only tucking him once tonight. If he gets out of bed, I won't tuck him in, again. Is that mean? Well, it didn't keep him in. So, now I needed to get him back to bed. I called Vincent to come get him. Thank heaven for older siblings.


Soon as we were sure the kids were asleep, we set up our midnight countdown spread.
Baked brie with rosemary crackers and sliced Pink Lady apples, garlic hummus and pita chips, various cookies, and olives. We kind of pigged out while watching the start of "Take Me Home Tonight." Now, our friends Jon and Andrea are coming by to spend the last moments of 2011 with us, countdown and toast to 2012 with a little bubbly.


Happy New Year, Everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment