Sunday, December 4, 2011

Robin Hood

I bought us these tickets to 6 shows at the Seattle Children's Theater at the end of summer. This makes me a "subscriber" and eligible for little perks, like many phone calls from the Children's Theater soliciting donations. But, no really, it gives us a discount on classes and camps, which Vincent has taken before and really enjoyed. And, this is an organization that I'd like to see continue in the Seattle community.

Unfortunately, the last two times we've tried to go see a show, there's been a glitch in our family system. First, Vincent was supposed to go and had a fever. Second time, Tyler was supposed to go and we completely forgot. Oops!

Not today! I took Vincent to see 'Robin Hood.' It's intended or ages 8+ but I felt like he would really enjoy the action. And, he did! There were swords, and fighting, and swinging from trees. The story was a little grown up for him, but c'mon, wasn't 'Cars 2' also? He liked the action, and just the fact that he was hearing a story. He did really well through the whole performance. We even had an intermission.

Unfortunately, at the end of the show, this gal gets up on stage and shows the audience a couple of books and a foam SWORD available for purchase in their store. Geez! That was it. Vincent had his mind set on that sword. He wanted to have one. I said we can go look at it briefly, but I'd have to think about getting it. Normally, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash at this $5.95 trinket that would have sent him to the moon. But, David and I just bought both kids each a Ninjago foam sword for Christmas. Now, I had to come up with some lame excuse as to why he couldn't have this particular sword. Later, when we caught up with David and Tyler, Vincent asked him if he could get the sword (I said we had to ask Daddy!), and he said, "Not today." Vincent was so upset, it seemed to ruin the excitement of the actual play. He was stomping and pouting. Finally, an apple juice box was what calmed him. Once calmed, he was able to remember all that he enjoyed about the play. I guess this is what happens when you don't give your kids juice very often - it works in your favor sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment