Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dances With Mexico

I took a cooking class tonight at a friend's house. We learned to make tamales, mole, and flan. My task was to make the flan, which was time sensitive, since it needed to bake, then cool before the evening was over. I over cooked the sugar for the caramel layer, of course, and had to make it again. It turned out very nicely, though, so that's what's important. And, I feel like I can totally make it at home. I've been wanting to make a coconut flan, so maybe I'll substitute the evaporated milk for coconut milk.  I was also able to fill a bunch of tamales, but didn't make the fillings for it. Everything tasted fantastic, even if it was close to 10pm by the time we got to eat. Thanks, Robin!

As for the rest of our day, Vincent had summer camp in the morning. Tyler and I met up with some friends at the playground, then went shopping at QFC. At the store, I bought these mini whole wheat pita pockets. For lunch, I stuffed them with tzatziki sauce, cooked chicken breast slices, lettuce and red onions. YUM. Vincent ate all his lunch at camp, but he wanted some of the mac 'n' cheese with peas and chicken that Tyler had as well. He didn't finish, but I was surprised he even wanted any.

In the afternoon, Vincent had t-ball practice. It was super warm out today. Vincent got nice and sweaty. Tyler and I explored the area around the playfield, and I got bit by a few bugs. David rode his bike to work and back, and met us at the park. He was in charge of them for the night while I went to my class.

Apparently, it was a wild evening...at least, at bedtime. Tyler was the main instigator of mayhem. This new found freedom of his toddler bed has made him super excited. David said that at one point, he peeked into the room to see Tyler just walking around smiling. Oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment