Saturday, July 30, 2011

Camping 2011 - Day 2

Low tide this morning. Soon as we had our coffees and breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast, we headed down to the jetty where the tide pools would be exposed for us to explore. Do you see that little black strip sticking out past the trees behind us? That's where we were headed.
I should note that Vincent did not want to go out with us. All he wanted to do was go back into the tent and hang out. I think he was a little cold. Plus, he really wanted to play with Bond. The whole time we were walking down to the beach, he kept asking if Bond was coming along soon, or when Bond would be getting there. At some point, he finally dropped it, as he must've figured out that Bond and his family weren't going to be with us for this outing. And, I think in the end, he was happy to he joined us, and I think he had a good time. I was really proud of how well he did climbing the rocks. He was nervous at first, but was pretty confident by the end.
I was nerding out on all the awesome sea creatures we were seeing: mossy chiton, sea anemones, crabs, barnacles, some sort of tube worm in a huge clump, limpets, and this was my favorite find of all...
A gumboot chiton. Oooohhhh. Ahhhhhh. It's seriously about the size of half a football. And, yes, I did put it back. It's a good thing I didn't step on it!

We didn't make it all the way to the end of the jetty. We didn't feel up to it with the kids. I guess there are seastars and sea urchins futher out. We'll take their word for it.

After the beach, we had lunch: build your own sandwiches, courtesy of Stephanie and David W. Tyler and I were ready for a nap. I took a short one, but he was zonked out for a good 2+ hours. Vincent sat on David's lap for a while listening to a story about the Goonies. Then, I gave him my iPhone and let him watch some TV shows I had on there. This allowed the adults to sit in the sun, chat and relax. When he was done with that, he entertained himself with a water shooter.
Andrea and Eva looked at their ocean treasures.
When Tyler woke, some of us did a little hula hooping.
Tyler enjoyed himself a glass of milk.
Then, David and I, separately, took the boys down to the beach to run around. I had Vincent with me. We ran on the sand, trying to get to the rainbow pole. We also did some writing and drawing in the sand with sticks. And, then we set up my camera on the timer for some pictures. It was such a nice little time I got to spend with him.
 Vincent drew a ferry boat.

This evening's dinner was pork and bean and veggies, courtesy of the Hildebrandts. The campfire tonight was awesome. David popped some Jiffy Pop, and the kids enjoyed eating it around the fire. Tyler and Eva were so cute and sweet.

Bedtime was much smoother for all.

2 comments:

  1. don't tell jayson i said this, but it actually looks like fun! plus, you guys got some really great pictures. it's nice to see you in some of the pictures, anny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was totally fun! I'd love to camp with you guys!

    ReplyDelete