Friday, January 21, 2011

TGIF

Not that I haven't enjoyed the past 5 days with my boys all on my own with barely a break to catch my breath, but I am so looking forward to having David's help around here tomorrow. He's in the air right now, but won't really be of any help until the morning.

I am exhausted, and I don't even have to go to a paid job while being a mom at the same time, so it's not like I truely know what it's like to be a single parent. I do have tons for respect for those who do it. But, I will say that I now know I can do more than I think, even if I do lose my patience in the process. Nevermind that I have three laundry baskets full for clean clothes to fold, a sink full of dirty dishes because I haven't emptied the clean ones out of the machine, and cat hair all over our rugs. The garbage, etc., did make it out to the street for collection and I scrubbed the kids' bathroom toilet and sink tonight.

I did get a very short break today, though. Tyler started a daycare this morning. It's huge for us. Okay, it's huge for me. I have not left him, without Vincent, in the care of someone who's not a blood relative for more than a few hours at a time. Today, he stayed at the daycare for 6 hours. Heck, I've barely done that with Vincent. I felt sick to my stomach when I left and he was crying. But, when I picked him up, he barely blinked after seeing me, stopping only to bring me something he had been pretend cooking just as I walked in.

Why daycare? Well, they speak Mandarin. And, she happened to have one spot open, just one day a week. And, the price is right. And, it will give me some alone time with Vincent. As far as alone time for myself, I'll get about 2 hours of it, which I plan to do what I would've been doing if I had Tyler anyway, which is go to the gym. It's just that now he'll have the language exposure, with peers, and I have to option NOT to go exercise, in case I really need to get something done without children around.

Yeah, so Tyler did good, I think. I had prepared to have him bring a comfort object (but not his NuNu) along for his nap, but he really wanted to take it with him when we dropped Vincent off at school, and he left it there. So instead, all I had to comfort him was his favorite sleep sack, with a tag on the side that he enjoys rubbing, and this tiny Hello Kitty doll that he sometimes plays with in the car. He ended up taking only a 45 minute nap, but at least he napped. He was the first child up, cried a little, but once he started playing again, he was happy.

I sure missed him today.

Vincent and I went to lunch at Blue C Sushi and then got a treat at the candy store across the street. I really wanted him to try out Pop Rocks, but he got this 'Razzles' thing instead. We came home and worked on his Chinese school "homework" together, then picked up Tyler.
I have eaten out with the boys so much this week. I have major guilt. We had dinner at home three times, but one night dinner was made for us. And, there was only one lunch we had that I made. I'm so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment