Thursday, January 13, 2011

And Then There's Today...

I have nothing worth sharing about my boys today, aside from them driving me up the wall. It's best I just talk about me, so that I don't say anything more unpleasant about them.

Let's start with my circuit training workout at the gym. One hour long, and I thought I was going to die. I'm not sure that anything actually hurt that much, since I couldn't keep up enough to really get the full effect. I just felt completely exhausted. I'm going to be in pain tomorrow. It's good, though. I think I needed to change things up a bit.

After a hard work out like that, it's best I treat myself to a delicious meal of BLT+A and fries. But, I had water.

I also wanted to share what we had for dinner tonight. Take a look.
I cook a flat iron steak once a week. I order it from amazonfresh.com, it's an easy cut of meat to cook, it's big enough for the whole family with leftovers, it's pretty lean, and everyone likes it. But, it wasn't the inspiration for tonight's meal. That little cup of beans with kale was what started me thinking about everything else you see on this plate.

The soup: Apple and Bean Soup from Lidia Bastianich.
I bought David her book as a Christmas gift; not so much the book, but the meals I would be making us from this book. This was our first recipe to try out, and it was a success. I modified it ever so slightly by adding tiny torn up pieces of kale to it. And, I misread the recipe and put 1.5 tsp instead of .5 tsp of cinnamon in. Luckily, I just scoop everything out, dumped the liquid and added more. It may have taken some of the buttery goodness out, but it's finished with more butter, so no biggie.

We could've had just had the soup for dinner, or Lidia suggests it as a side as well. I had the steak, so I cooked it. And, I had one roma tomato left in-house, so I sliced that up. Ooh, and in the freezer, a par-baked loaf of rosemary bread from Essential Bakery. Super.

Lastly, that little white dollop on top of the steak is herbed goat cheese. I used plain Laura Chenel's chabis along with fresh chopped chives, thyme, basil, rosemary, and shallots, juice of half a lemon, about a 1/4 cup of cream, and salt to taste. Mix, mix, mix. Back in the fridge to set up. A hot spoon to scoop it is what makes that fun little football shape.

David said, "I love my Christmas present!"

No comments:

Post a Comment