Friday, January 14, 2011

A Sore Bodied, Proud Parent & Our Downtown Adventure

Yup, that's me. Sore. My body is achey from yesterday's workout, but I was relieved to find that it didn't bother me to jog on the treadmill at the gym. In fact, I almost felt stronger. And, I didn't realize I reserved a 2 hour spot for the boys in the daycare until we got there, so I had extra time to myself.

Before the gym, I had a parent/teachers conference for Vincent at his school. It was fun to hear about how they see & interact with him. The first thing one of his teachers said when I sat down was, "Of course, we love Vincent." Well, that just warms my heart. It sounds like he is doing very well in school. A little on the loud side (no surprise), and not that into art, even though he will participate. Very verbal, but has good listening skills. I'm proud of him.

I asked them for their opinion of him taking drama classes. They thought that it may be something he'd enjoy. I've been thinking about it for a while now, and after talking to them, I knew that I had to let him give it a try. So, just signed him up for the spring session of Creative Drama at the Seattle's Children's Theatre. I'm so excited for him! I hope he enjoys it, but if not, at least I gave him the opportunity.

After the gym, we came home for lunch, and then we had a friend, Will, over for a mini playdate. The boys tumbled around the living room, listening to Toy Story and then to some music. After the tumbling, they played hide and seek. None of them really played it the exact way, but they had fun. Tyler was right in there with them. He seemed to follow whatever Will was doing. It was really cute to watch them run around. We calmed down with a little video of Ni Hao Kai Lan.

So, it's 3pm, and I'm feeling that today is considerably better than yesterday. I'm not sure why, but I'll take it. Although, our cat, Stella, is frustrating me. She likes to hang out with Vincent when he's resting. I guess he was petting her and she decided to scratch him. She's my trouble-maker.

I also wanted to say something about yesterday. I was pretty wiped out by the end of the night when I posted. I didn't give the kids enough credit. We did have a lot of fun after their (shortened) rest/naptime, when we had a dance party in the living room. Vincent was singing a song from the movie, "Tangled," so I bought it off iTunes, and he was thrilled. He danced and danced, and then we listened to other songs, and got out the faux microphones and sang along and danced some more. So, I'm sorry I made them seem like total monsters yesterday...it's good to sleep off a bad day, huh?

**9:49pm - Post rest/naptime today, we had ourselves a little downtown adventure. Vincent didn't nap, again, and Tyler took a shorter nap, again. I already figured out dinner, which involved reheating of stuff, easy. So, we took the bus downtown. The adventure was supposed to only be the bus ride, and then we'd meet David down there and take a different bus home. But, our ride there was so long that I felt bad making them get back on a bus again after only 20 minutes.

That bus ride was pretty standard & uneventful (to me, at least) until a group of teenagers got on halfway through our trip. Two were eating Chinese food out of a box, which was apparently not tasty, and talking about how one couple among them was having a baby. They talked about the baby's name, and the baby shower, and how excited they were that she's having a baby. The most talkative of the bunch went on about how she can't wait to have one, and even got on the phone with her boyfriend & asked if they can have one soon. Then, there was some talk about meeting someone downtown, but "I'll tell 'em it's your weed, and you just need to tell them they can't smoke it all." I think she was referring to the preggers gal. It was all so surreal. And, I KNOW that Vincent was taking it all in, because they said something about getting off the bus, which happened to be the one we wanted, and Vincent excitedly said, "Mommy, they're getting off at the same stop as us!"

Nonetheless, the bus trip was worth it because after we got off, there was the sound of drums playing, and Vincent wanted to see where it was coming from. One man, several plastic buckets, and various cymbals and bells. He saw Vincent, pulled out two drumsticks and asked if he wanted to play along.
Yup, that's my boy: street performer. Someone walked by and dropped some change in a bucket, too.

While waiting for David, we ducked out of the rain and into See's Candies, where we got a free sample of chocolate and Vincent got a lollipop. Okay, I'll admit I bought that for him so that I could get the samples. Sneeky cheapskate.

We ate dinner at Il Fornaio's Risottoria, where the kids shared their mac 'n' cheese, and Vincent ate all his portion! Even more than Tyler ate. Check out his empty plate. And, yes, he was still working on that lolli after dinner.

Finally, we waited for the bus to take us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment