Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Growing a Farmer, Growing Foodies

Have you noticed a trend in my posts? Usually, I post once during the kids' resting time, and again after we've put them to bed for the night. It's pretty much how our day is broken up; first half and second half. Usually, the first part of the day is more adventuresome than the second, but there's always something more to share.

Today's second half, in my opinion, was more exciting than the first (not to discount part 1 in anyway, because it was good, too). 

Okay, okay, I'll get on with it. But, first I have to preface it with what happened first thing this morning. Just as Tyler was waking up, my phone rang, and it was our Tuesday sitter who was very sick and had to cancel. My plans for my alone time was to meet a friend for coffee, then head to Elliot Bay bookstore to use my laptop, before going to a book reading. Change of plans...

But, I think it ended up better! Kate came over to our house with coffee at 3:30pm. The kids were up so they got to see her, too.

After her visit, we had a light snack, then headed to Capitol Hill for dinner at Odd Fellows. We shared the salt cod fritters, beet salad, and beef shortribs. Yeah, what a meal, huh? They tried all of it, too. Uh, except the braised greens, and Tyler didn't try the arugula or beets from the salad. Tyler ended up not liking the goat cheese or pistachios from the salad, couldn't seem to decide on the salt cod, was okay with the potatoes with the shortribs, and LOVED the beef. I'd say he ate half the huge chunk we got. Vincent loved the salad, though he didn't seem to like his arugula. He tried the salt cod and didn't like it. Was okay with the shortribs, and LOVED the potatoes. Funny boys. Oh, yeah, I also had a champagne cocktail.
 

The next thing on my plan was to take them next door to Elliot Bay and pick up a copy of the book being read, Growing a Farmer: How I Learned to Live Off the Land, by Kurt Timmermeister. I figured I would buy it, hang around a few minutes to see Kurt, congratulate him on the book, and scoot home.

Once there, Vincent asked if we can stay so that he can "listen to the story." It was so sweet and cute. I told him we could for just a few minutes, but as soon as Tyler starts to squirm, we'd have to leave. He agreed. I was actually able to chat with Kurt briefly, apologizing to him, in advance, if we get up and leave minutes into his reading. He totally understood and was grateful we made it out. Just as I finished telling him that Vincent would prefer to stay, I found two friends.  Friends who needed seats. I provided just that...as long as one of them would have Vincent sit on her lap. Vincent last 45 minutes! I had to take Tyler upstairs to roam the children's section, but Vincent stayed there with Robin until he was ready to see me. He never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment