Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Delay

Both boys' classes were pushed back this morning due to last night's snow. Although it's a little bit of an inconvenience, I'm thankful for two things: 1) classes weren't cancelled all together, and 2) friends.

I guess if classes were totally cancelled, we would've found something entirely different to do. BUT, if they had to cancel classes, it would've meant that the roads weren't safe to drive on, which would mean that we wouldn't be able to find something else to do. I guess I could've bundled them up and played outside in the snow, but that probably wouldn't have taken up the whole morning.

Lucky for me, I had my friend, Brianna. She texted messaged early on, informing me of the delay, and inviting us to have coffee and bagels at Panera Bread. Since our kids were going to the same places this morning, she and I met at Panera, then split up with each other's kids. She took her daughter and Tyler to class, while I drove her son and Vincent to preschool. Then, I went back to finish up class with Tyler.

After Tyler's class, another friend, Monica, suggested we get Mexican food at Rancho Bravo. Great! While there, Tyler had to poop. He was desparate. I took him into their restroom, took one look and walked out. It wasn't dirty, but it looked like it had been hosed down with water. I just didn't have it in me to wipe it all down, while trying to keep Tyler from rolling around on the wet floor. But, my dear Monica, bless her, had me watch the kiddos and she went in and wiped the seat down for me. So simple, yet so helful. And, Tyler was very thankful. And, after all that, she cut up strawberries for us to share!

Vincent stayed at school for lunch today. Otherwise, I would've had to pick him up within an hour of dropping him off. Of course, when we got home, I saw that he had barely eaten any of the snack-sized lunch I packed him. So, he got to have a second lunch to finish it up. At least he ate it all.

So, I guess I'm thankful for a third thing today: 3) another day that didn't end up in a flop. Amen.

For dinner tonight, I attempted to make chicken tikka masala from a spice blend I picked up at the store last week. It called for yogurt, which we didn't have. The boys and I walked to the nearby market (not supermarket) a couple blocks away. (Have I told you I love our new neighborhood?) While there, I let them each pick out an ice cream from the case. They've never done that before, um, maybe Vincent has. Anyway, it was a lot of fun for them, and they showed great will power to wait until after dinner to eat it.

I think it was worth the wait.

As for dinner, it was sooooo spicy! Basically, I used about 1/4 of the amount of spice it called for, and then I had to fish all the stuff out of the sauce, and transfer it into some plain chicken stock, and it still made me sweat and have a runny nose when eating it. I gave the boys plain chicken simmered in chicken stock. But, the basmati rice was super good. I mixed the boys' rice with some roasted acorn squash, which they enjoyed. Gotta get those veggies in somehow, right?

Actually, since Vincent has turned 4 yrs old, we made a deal with him that he doesn't have to eat salad, but if it's served for a meal, he needs to have at least one leaf of lettuce. Surprisingly, he has eaten, enjoyed, and tonight, asked for more. Maybe by the time Tyler turns 4, he'll just follow Vincent's lead...or better yet, before that! We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment