Monday, June 13, 2011

School's Out For Summer

Today was our first day of summer vacation. I can't believe my children have not even begun elementary school and we're talking about summer vacation. Technically, we're on vacation 365 days a year, right? I mean, yeah, Vincent's enrolled in school, but he doesn't have to go.

No, but, really, it is an exciting time of year. The weather has been warming up into the mid-upper 60s (WooHoo!), the sun mostly shines, and our backyard is a little haven of fun.

Speaking of backyard fun, when I left the boys this afternoon with our sitter, both were butt naked playing out there. Vincent had gotten hot and wanted to change into a pair of shorts. Then, he wanted his shirt off. Tyler saw this and decided he wanted his shirt off, too. And, pants. And, underpants and socks while he was at it. Then, Vincent saw Tyler do all this and decided he wanted his shorts and underpants off, too. Wow. They don't usually prefer to be naked like this, but whatever.

Anyway, back tracking...this morning the boys and I went to the gym. As we were leaving the house, Vincent found an old library book on the shelf. It's one that has no due date, so we've had it for a while. He said to me, "Mommy, we've had this book a long time. We need to return it. Can we go to the library today?" Um, sure! After the gym, I took them to a branch that I've only been to once myself. They have a nice little children's section. I told Vincent he could look around and pick out some books. To my surprise, he did find a couple. One seems a little old for him, and maybe a little scary (we haven't read it, yet). Tyler was wandering around a bunch, I suddenly, he stopped at a shelf, pulled out a book, and guess what it was about? Construction vehicles! It wasn't even sticking out or at the end, so I'm not sure if it was an accident that he found it, or if he just has a radar for trucks. He was super excited about it.

We sat down and read a book Vincent found, a book Tyler found, and a book I found. Then, I just set them all aside and let them look around some more. When it came time to leave, both boys found the ones they had me read and wanted to borrow them. Drat! I thought Tyler would forget about his (it's not very interesting...at least, not to me).

I'd say it was a good first day of summer for us.

David and I had our second dance class. We learned the "signature" move of the lindy hop. I thought he did really well tonight. Lots of laughs. Okay, maybe I did more laughing than he.  

No comments:

Post a Comment