Monday, May 16, 2011

Our Friend, The Fava Bean & Tyler Does A Little Walking

Tyler fell asleep during the short car ride from Vincent's school to our house. When I took him out, he sort of woke, and I asked if he wanted lunch or a nap. He wanted to nap. So, Vincent and I ate lunch by ourselves.

I finished before him, so I started cleaning vegetables. He asked me what I was doing, and rather than say, "Shucking fava beans," I took one over to him, and showed him what I was doing. We talked about the pod and how it is thick, tough, and inedible. Then, we looked at the bean inside, and talked about how it has thick layer of skin that we must discard as well. Finally, we got to the inside! We also compared it to other types of beans/peas and their edible or inedible parts. He was sort of interested in the whole thing. He even ate the edible part of the fava bean. And, for dinner, we had (store bought) chanterelle mushroom raviolis with browned butter fava beans. Yum.
Argh, Blogger! This picture is supposed to be landscaped, but Blogger uploaded it flipped sideways, and I don't know how to fix it.


After naptime, the boys played with Play-Doh together.

After dinner, Tyler played with trains on the new track I set up. I stood him up on the side of the table. He eventually figured out how to pull himself up, then later walked around the table, holding on to the edges.



2 comments:

  1. We got fava beans in our veggie box this month and don't know what to do with them, so this gives me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, get the beans out of the pods, then blanch them in boiling water for a couple of minutes. You should be able to peel the thick skin off and have yourselves some fresh, delicious fava bean goodness.

    ReplyDelete