Monday, May 9, 2011

Our First Fracture

I can barely even remember the rest of our day, prior to 6:23pm.

I remember taking Tyler to City People's around 5pm to pick up some potting soil, then going to the community center to watch the 2nd half of Vincent's soccer game. And, then leaving David with the boys at the playground so I could go home to make dinner.

At 6:23pm, I got a call from David telling me he needed me to pick them up (they were going to walk home), and that we'll need to head to Children's Hospital. Tyler had climbed up a large rock and jumped off.

That phone call last 27 seconds. I turned everything cooking off, grabbed whatever food items I could see in front of me (3 rolls and 2 bananas) and a bottle of water, and rushed out the door.

It was about 3 feet that Tyler jumped. David was just a step away from catching him, but too late. He said he heard a "crack" sound as Tyler landed. It was because he was crying so much, and unable to put weight on his foot that we decided we needed to go to the ER.

When we got there, Tyler was so scared, his lips were quivering. He knew something was wrong with him. And, thankfully, Tyler took a few sips of water and a couple of bites of banana in the car, before we arrived, because once he was checked in, they said he was not to eat or drink anything until seen by the doctor and given the OK. Really?! But, it's his dinnertime!

Long story short, by 11pm, we were no longer in the waiting room, but still waiting for answers. I was able to get someone to watch Vincent so that he could go home to sleep. By midnight, Tyler had an X-ray with results: a spiral fracture of the bone in his left calf. He would need a splint and to be seen in 3-5 days to have a cast put on.

Here are David and Tyler, resting, while waiting for the splint.


At least, they gave him a Popsicle before we left, which really perked him up.

We got home around 2am.


No comments:

Post a Comment