Thursday, January 3, 2013

Free 1st Thursday: MOHAI

The Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) used to be near our house. It closed some time last year (2012), and reopened this past Saturday. We had free tickets to go, but ended up sledding. Vincent and I had this morning free together. I originally thought I'd take him to the King Tut exhibit that he and I have been wanting to go to for the longest time. It's been in Seattle since May of 2012, and it ends this weekend. We had all this time, and didn't go, and now tickets are almost sold out. The best time I could find is Saturday at 8:15pm. Nope. Not for me.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that today MOHAI would be having their first "First Thursday" free admission day. Woohoo! Of course, since school's still not back in session, many others had the same fabulous plan as I did. Nonetheless, it was a good time. I look forward to going back on another day when it's less crowded to really explore the exhibits. I tried to read him some of the stuff, but he had a hard time following. I think he must've been overwhelmed by the crowd. I know I was. He was amazed at what he saw when we first walked in, as the foyer is pretty grand. We ate a nice little snack we packed together in the cafe, then headed for Pike Place Market.

I found a great 30 minute spot in front of Starbucks, which was about all the time we'd have anyway. I tell you, though, tourists are pretty clueless. I know, I would be, too, in a different place, but c'mon, does the guy need to have his suitcases on the street, in a prime parking spot, rather than on the sidewalk? And, when he saw my car backing up feet from him, could he move? Oh well. At least, I got a spot. 

When we got out of the car, Vincent asked, "Mmmmm, what is that yummy smell?" Well, my friend, that would be Piroshky Piroshky. I first had one of their tasty treats 4 years ago when David and I took a "babymoon" before Tyler was born. I was very excited to introduce Vincent to it. I told him we'd swing back around after we pick up the money from his raffle tickets sales to my (ex)manager at Mt. Townsend Creamery. Right after we left the creamery, he immediately said, "Mommy, let's just go get one of those yummy smelling things now." Alrighty then! He got a cheese roll, and I got a beef and cheese piroshky. Oh man it was good. Piping hot! We found some public seating inside and enjoyed. I also got each boy a puff pastry stick with powdered sugar. 

Vincent was very excited to give Tyler all his "surprises" when we picked him up from school: a MOHAI sticker, the last couple pieces of dried mango we had, and the puff stick. Tyler was so happy we remembered to bring him something.

We dropped Vincent off at his friend, Jack's house for a play date, while Ty and I went home to rest.

After Vincent came home, Tyler was excited to show him the new Lego catalog that arrived in the mail today. They both sat down at the table to look through it together. Then, both boys played with their Leapsters for a short while, then started in on setting up a Lego battle. They played quietly and pretty nicely while I made dinner. When David got home, they stayed calm, as per my request, and asked if he'd battle with them. David agreed to do it after dinner.

And, so the battle commenced when we were done eating. It was sweet to see all three of them playing together and so happy.

David and I agreed last night that we would try to start bathing the kids daily. Yup, we don't bathe them daily still. I've been feeling more and more like it's necessary, especially with school now, but our evenings get so busy. Now, I want to make a real effort to get it done. I figured if we get in the habit now, we won't forget to do it at all after the baby is born! 

David took Tyler upstairs for a bath while Vincent and I worked on his Chinese homework. Then, I got Vincent in for a quick shower. He only protested slightly. More like wondered why he was getting another shower if he had one yesterday. I explained to him our reason, which he seemed fine with. We also talked about how he has to learn to take of his own body, including his eczema. His doctor said last week that if hasn't outgrown it by age 6, it'll likely be something he'll have to deal with even as an adult. I told him that he'll have to help us remember to lotion up after bathing, especially after baby arrives, since we'll have little sleep and be very busy. Sweet Vincent replied, "And, I can help you with the baby, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment