Friday, June 15, 2012

Mortifying Moment & Murder Mystery

Summer Edition, Day 5

This morning, the boys went off to Mandarin preschool, while I got a morning to myself.
I think Vincent is getting the hang of this preschool. The first month, he struggled because it is so different from Secret Garden. Plus, Tyler started there first, which sort of makes it Ty's "territory," if you get me. Last week, Vincent got a sticker for participating, and his teacher said he improved greatly from the week before. The previous weeks, he was pretty disruptive, with 2 weeks ago being his worst. I was so happy to hear of improvement, and even happier this week to hear...well, not much. His teacher just smiled, nodded her head, and said, "He did well." Whew! He even had two stickers on his hands.

So, my mortifying moment came after I picked the boys up from school. I had to make a stop to pick up some photos. When we got to the house, Vincent said he had to use the bathroom. I asked if he could hold it, and apparently, he couldn't. When I walked up to the door, I didn't notice the box with my name on it sitting on the porch. I rang the door bell. Then, as we waited, Vincent said, "Mommy, what are those presents?" I looked down, and, well, you know. But, someone was heading to the door already, and Vincent asked if I could ask them for the bathroom. 

She kindly let us in, even though the lady of the house wasn't actually there. She leads us upstairs, and Vincent goes. But, he's taking kind of long, so I ask if he's alright. "No," he said. *Oh gosh.* "I peed on my pants." I tell him it's okay, but he's upset. I go in, and he's also peed on the floor. Now that I'm thinking about this, it really wasn't a big deal. But, the fact that I asked a total stranger if my child could go in and use her bathroom, and then he pees all over the floor...ugh. I couldn't have gotten us out of there any faster.

We came home for a little down time. 

My evening plan was to take them to Bellevue Square. I thought I'd get there much earlier, but, well, I have two small children. Things don't move as quickly as I imagined in my head. Nonetheless, we get there at a decent time, do a little poking around stores, and head to dinner. Tyler and I had originally decided on sushi, but he changed his mind. We had walked past McDonalds' on our way in, and I think that got them thinking. I convinced them to go to Red Robin.

Both ordered the exact same thing: corn dog and apple slices with milk. I sweet-talked our waiter into giving me the happy hour price on a pint, even though I wasn't sitting in the bar. "Are you sure you can't just give me that price? I would be in the bar, but...", pointing at my kiddos. 

The kids take their sweet time eating, so I decide to tell them a story: "The Billionaire's Curse." It's just a early-teens book I read recently, that I mistakenly thought would be a quick way to pass the time. But, I introduced the word "mystery" to them, and what that means. Vincent was very into the story. I think Tyler was, too. He also seemed a little nervous. 


I think the best part of this, and the reason I kept telling story, was how captivated Vincent was. When I would pause to help Tyler, or say something to the server, he would say, "Mama, please don't stop. Continue." And, when we would meet a new character, and I would describe him, he would say, "Oh! This guy seems like he could maybe be the bad guy, but he also seems so nice!" Like I could almost see the little thought bubble floating above his head with images of the story as he listened. And, he really liked the main character. "That Gerald. He does some cool things."


When the story was over, and we find out the bad guy gets away, he's a little confused. I explain that this is the first of 3 books. "Please, Mama, read the others so you can tell me what happens." Precious.
Even more precious. 
After these pictures were taken, Tyler's balloon slipped off his wrist. Luckily, there was a roof above us, and it didn't completely fly away. But, I couldn't reach it. It slowly floated closer and closer to the edge of floating up and away. Tyler's freaking out, and I'm looking around for an answer. Found. A table of three young, taller than me, guys. I ask for help, like I've got a cat stuck up in a tree or something, and one volunteers. He stood on a chair, and was about 2 inches off. His friends just sit and watch, offering no help (oh the youth of today). But, he is determined. He said, "I'm gettin' this. But, I'll need to jump..." Got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment