Friday, June 22, 2012

5 1/2

Summer Edition, Day 12

Vincent turned 5 1/2 today. As a little treat, we bought tickets to see "Brave" a few days ago, and told the kids about it yesterday. They were super excited, since they've been seeing the ads for it for a couple of months now.

But, before that, the kids went to school this morning. While they were there, I trekked up to Alderwood Mall for the grand opening of the new Lego store. Seriously? Why would I do such a thing? Because I'm a dork.

I got up there super early, and there wasn't anything happening. The postcard I got in the mail said the opening was going to be 11am. Since there was no line, and nobody standing around to give info, I decided to walk around a bit. I should have known better, seeing the partitions. I got myself a coffee, looked at the area where they were setting up to build the giant Yodo, and came back. A mere 25 minutes later, there were two sets of lines, and a lady handing out numbers. They were already on group 3. What?! Oh well. I got myself a number and waited.

An hour later, I walked out of the Lego store with a large bag of goodies I picked up for various birthdays coming up, a free t-shirt and a free Yoda Duplo brick. Yes, one single brick.

It was rainy all day today, so the boys and I spent the afternoon chilling, waiting to go see the movie. I had gotten Vincent a couple of new Ninjago guys called "booster packs," so he played with those while Tyler napped. I laid in bed reading "Catching Fire." I swore I wasn't going to read "The Hunger Games" series, or want to see the second movie, but I think I'm hooked.

At 4:45pm, we loaded into the car to head downtown. Here's a little Seattle tip: Pacific Place mall has a flat rate of $6 for parking if you enter after 5pm. The movie was starting at 5:25, so I had to time it just right. And, I did. We walked up to the box office just in time to find David going to the wrong line for our will call tickets. Tyler and I saved our seats while David and Vincent got popcorn. They made it just in time for the first preview.

And, the verdict? "Brave" was really good. A bit on the scary side. Nothing I expected. I guess I had no idea what the movie was really about, except about a red-headed gal who shoots arrows very well. And, I'm not entirely sure I think the title is that fitting. Maybe "Rebel Princess" would have been more accurate. Nonetheless, it's good. Worth seeing in the theater, so go.

The kids were super wound up after the movie, and since we didn't have to worry about the car, we went a block over to Blue C Sushi for a light dinner. Tyler talked NONSTOP. Okay, he didn't talk so much when he was eating, but that's all. Yappity, yap, yap, yap!

Happy half birthday, Vincent. We love our big 5 1/2 year old. At this age, you are very much into "battling." It's a sort of an art form to you. You set up these elaborate battles with your toys. Those participating range from Lego Ninjago characters, to Bakugon, to little Japense animal erasers, to rubber duckies, and just about any toy you think would be a fitting warrior.

You have one major chore that you do to earn a small weekly allowance. You are trying to save up for both the Ninjago Fire Temple (um, $119) and the Ninjago set with the green Ninja. I think it has some kind of large ship (also $119). We have warned you that it may take you about 2 years to get just one of those. You are not discouraged.

Every other day, you change your mind about who you will marry one day. Although, this week, you haven't said anybody. Maybe Soraya. Your favorite friend is Henry. You and Tyler are becoming better and better friends, but still argue a lot. It's expected.

You have pretty long hair right now. The longest it's ever been. Just yesterday, you agreed to let Daddy cut it for you. Daddy only, not Mama. Maybe a barber can do it.

Your favorite football team is still the Packers. You also seem to like the Red Socks, but possibly the Mariners, for baseball. You don't really have a favorite basketball team, but you like Lebron James, regardless of what others think.

You are still struggling a little bit with your speech, but improving a lot. The "th" sound gets you the most.

You take piano lessons, and seem to be enjoying it. You can play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" by heart, which makes you very proud. And, we are so proud, too.

You continue to do karate, and enjoy it. You are getting better and better each time. We think your teacher has high hopes for you.

We hope you had a wonderful little day today. You seemed very happy and satisfied. Love love love you, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment