Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Summer Edition, Day 7

This morning, Tyler was up at the butt-crack of dawn. We were both so tired, and not ready to get up. Plus, he doesn't normally wake so early. So, we asked if he wanted to get in bed with us or go back to his bed. He chose to go back upstairs. 

Yay! And, I think he actually did fall asleep, because an hour later, the child that came down at the "normal" wake up time was Vincent. I got up with him, letting David sleep-in. When I asked him if Tyler was still asleep, he said, "Yes."

Vincent and I hung out in the living room, snuggling a bit, and talked about how the day went after I left yesterday. He told me about a game they played called, "Maka," or something. It involved wrestling.

Ty was up within the next half hour. The boys and I settled on getting David a not breakfast from McDonald's, rather than our usual Top Pot Doughnuts-on-special-occasions. 

It took me a moment to figure out what to get us all, then I waffled momentarily, and really pissed off the car behind me. First, he honked at me. Huh?! Then, I heard him yell something at me, like, "C'mon!" I was shocked and angry, but I refrained from telling him off. Really? Did he really need to get his fast food that fast? I'm sorry if I can't order my McDonald's breakfast as fast as he can, since we don't frequent that place so much, especially this early. And, then, under my breath, I wished high cholesterol on him. Sorry.

Anyway, David was nicely surprised to wake up to a hot breakfast. The kids were so excited to give him his gifts, but we waited until after David finished eating. By the way, neither of them really knew what they were having for breakfast, or so it seemed. Vincent took a bite of his hashbrown, his face lit up, and he said, in a surprised tone, "Mmmm, this is good!"

I got David a bunch of new shirts and a pair of pants. Tyler got him an insulated lunch sack. It was his idea. Well, his idea was a Thomas lunchbox, but this is more appropriate. Vincent got him a Lego chess set. It's super cool.
Vincent and David put the set together while Tyler and I hung out. Then, our babysitter showed up. Yup, I got us a sitter for Father's Day. We've been in need of a date, and David really wanted to get a nice buffet brunch. 

I got us a reservation to Palisades. We had some time before our reservation, so we went down to Golden Gardens, walked along the waterfront, and then sat on a bench and talked. He had been gone three days this week, and it was our first time really catching up since he came home. Brunch was wonderful. This place has a beautiful view of the marina and bay, into the downtown waterfront. There were two (huge) cruise ships parked nearby. They gave us a seat that faced the awesome view.

The boys had a good time with the sitter, and the rest of the after we just hung out at home. David and I took turns with each kid. We were so full from brunch, that we skipped dinner and just let the kids eat. Funny, they didn't even notice that we weren't eating. We did each have a cupcake for dessert. For Father's Day, they featured The 'Stache: chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and crumbled pretzels on top...with a little fondant mustache. David's favorite snack is pretzels, so we had to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment