Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May

It's May in Seattle. Well, everywhere else in the world, too, I suppose. It's a lovely time of year. I think this spring is turning out to be nicer than last. I think. We have beautiful tulips and anemones that bloomed in our front yard this year. I planted about 30+ tulip bulbs, the anemones and ranunculus over the winter. I also planted strawberries last summer and apparently a peony. All this stuff is popping up in the garden, except the ranunculus. Hmmmm. Do those come later? Soon, I'll be out there, pulling weeds and cleaning up the tulips that have gone past their time. But, not today. There are many weeds, but I'm just going to enjoy the fact that we're getting a true spring this year.

This morning, our friends, the Mahoneys, dropped off two May Day baskets for the boys. Filled with popcorn, M & Ms, and I think Skittles. Tyler said, "Mmm, these are smoothie M & Ms!" We later met up with them at the playground before picking up Vincent from school.

The school year is winding down, too. It's the Usbourne book fair this week. The past two years, when it was time for the book fair, I felt like school would be over soon. And, it will be. I think there are only 5 weeks left. Crazy to think that Vincent is "graduating" preschool!

The other May Day thing today is "Occupy..." With plans for a march this afternoon, David came home early to avoid the mess that will be downtown later. His building was also on lockdown for their safety due to news of anarchist vandalizing the city. The police station across the street from David's building was barricaded. All this news is scary to hear from a distance, so I was relieved when he made it home.

And, finally, it feel so spring, for some reason, knowing there's a box full of cupcakes sitting on our kitchen counter, waiting for us to devour after dinner tonight. You are so jealous. Don't they just look as pretty as flowers?

No comments:

Post a Comment