Friday, April 27, 2012

Good-bye Stanley

This morning, at 10:50am, a close friend passed away. Stanley Hutyra was  my dearest friend's father. He just recently turned 79 years old, on Good Friday. Although his life started out very hard, I am happy to say that it ended well. I have known him for over 20 years. During this time, I would say he lived a good life. And, in the last few months of his life, I saw his wife, Halina, show the most love and devotion I've ever seen anyone give to another. 

Stanley's health has been failing for a couple of years now. For the most part,  though, he's been chugging along just fine. Just after the new year, he had a stroke. After a few days in the hospital, he was able to come home, and seemed to recover pretty well. We weren't sure he would make it more than 2 weeks, but he proved us wrong. Unfortunately, in the past few weeks, Stanley would go on to have more strokes. Though minor, his body had become very weak. Too weak to fight anymore.

In January, Halina said that she would not put him in a nursing home. For 20 years, she worked in a nearby home. Through the years, she sat beside many residents as they passed, with nobody else by their side. She just wanted Stanley to feel comfortable, safe and loved. She has been by his side, almost constantly since his stroke in January. And, in his last few days, she was the one taking care of his every need. I am in awe of her strength, commitment, and most of all, her love. She is amazing and inspiring.


I was able to visit Stanley yesterday and say, "Good-bye." When I arrived, he was sleeping. Halina and I talked for a little while, and noticed he had opened his eyes. She told him I was there, and he seemed coherent. He even gave me a little wave. 

I am happy that I had the opportunity to meet and know Stanley. When  He raised an incredible daughter, and lived a full life. He was always kind to me and my family. I am thankful that God gave him the gift of Halina in his life, and gave him a peaceful ending. 

We will miss you, Stanley.


No comments:

Post a Comment