Friday, June 25, 2010

Officially Summer 2010

The boys and I are officially on our summer schedule...whatever that means. I guess this is what it means:

Vincent's out of preschool, Mandarin is over, and Tyler's baby class at Seattle Central has wrapped up. I've switched our nanny to coming two mornings a week (until she leaves for her summer trip). We have camping trips planned. We have two other "summer" trips planned. Vincent will be going to a couple weeks of summer camp. I've applied sunscreen on the children, and will start keeping a "summer" bag in the car. And, the biggest change to our schedule is Tyler's napping...

T-man has been showing signs of dropping down to one nap a day, but I have been trying to keep him on two until this week. I have been aggressively trying to get him to take just one a day since Monday. It's been up and down. Monday he took two, though now I can't really remember for sure how it went. Tuesday he took two, but I believe they were shorter than usual. Wednesday was the tough day. He took an hour nap all day. By bedtime, he was overtired and cranky. Thursday I took the boys out first thing and tired them out in the sunshine. He napped from 12:30pm-3:15pm. He went to bed at the same time, falling asleep about 8:45pm, and woke this morning at 6:30am. Not bad. This morning, I took them to the gym 2 hours earlier than normal, and he went down at noon. Vincent fell asleep an hour later.

Speaking of Vincent, he is still taking one afternoon nap on most days. He needs it, otherwise he's cranky by dinnertime. I usually give him is Tag story reader and let him pick out a couple of books to read. This helps wind him down. When he has read for about 20-30 minutes, I have him put it away and I lie down with him and we both rest. Today, he fell asleep almost immediately. He did also wake up at 5:30am with soaked sheets...

Oh, after the gym, I decided to take the kids to McDonalds. Yeah, yeah, yeah. At least I'm admitting it to the world! Vincent declared that he did not want to eat his food in the car ("It would be too messy and I will be mad at you, Mommy."), nor did he want to eat it at home. He wanted to go inside the restaurant to eat. Whew! That was not as simple as I pictured in my head. At 11am, that place was packed! Tourist, apparently. I had staked out a booth for us, pulled up a highchair next to it, but failed to mark it any other way that it was taken. We lost our booth. Shoot! Tyler squirmed in my arms the whole time we waited for our food, and Vincent kept asking where his toy was, or saying, "Hey, Mommy! You forgot to give me my toy." When we did get our food, and find a seat, they had given us fries instead of the apples I ordered. I had to go change that out. BTW, they had to throw away the frieds, that I had not touched, and Happy Meal boxes. I was working up such a sweat just trying to get us started on eating. But, thank goodness I got those apples, cuz that seemed to be the thing the boys were most interested in. Tyler liked dipping his apples in ketchup. Vincent found that funny and decided to try it for himself. When I asked if it was good, he responded with a nod, then tured kind of red and gave a funny face. I guess it wasn't so good. We did have a good laugh of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment