Thursday, March 21, 2013

36 Weeks & Taking A Beating

No, I didn't get jumped. Instead, I took a bit of a tumble this morning. That's my beating. 

I was standing on the sidewalk in front of our house waiting for a friend, when I noticed one of my anemone flowers was in bloom. It made me so happy, as I've been thinking lately that our spring so far is so grey and cold, I might forget to stop and notice the flowers coming back to life. This also inspired me to pull some of the dead stuff out of the ground while waiting for my friend. I pulled on one, and it didn't budge, so I went to get my pruning shears from the garage. As I was walking down the driveway, I tripped on a crack, and launched myself forward. It was almost in slow-motion, as several thoughts flashed through my mind. The baby. That was the main thought. My right hand, then my right knee, landed first, followed by the rest of my body. I don't remember landing directly on my belly, though, that ended up on the ground, too. I remember trying to hold my head up, but feeling that slowly touch down, too. No bonk there.

I sat up right away, and examined the damage. I had my purse on me, and decided to call David. I didn't want to scare him, but I was so shaken up, it seemed like the only thing I could do. Within a minute, Alicia and Sonia, my friend and her daughter, arrived. I figured I'd just have Alicia help me into the house, but she did so much more.

Alicia sprung right into action. She's had emergency response experience! And, she was totally calm. I couldn't have asked for a better aide at that moment. She cleaned me up, patched me up with what little first aid materials we have on hand, and even helped me send a text message to another friend I was supposed to meet in an hour. 

David made it home quickly, and was able to take over. We called my doctor, and I was asked to go to Labor and Delivery to get checked out. They warned me that it is at least a 4-hour monitoring, and I could be kept for up to 24 hours.

Needless to say, I'm home. All seemed to check out fine. Baby is moving lots, heartbeat looks good, no regular contractions, and no leaking of amniotic fluid. We even ran into my doctor when we got off the elevator. She was able to help me get immediate attention, and helped me clean up one of my wounds. The nurse helping me was wonderful. I was able to order a meal, and even got in a quick nap. 

David had to leave me to pick up the boys, but thank goodness he could do all that to help out!

Once again, even with the ups, downs, and little challenges, I consider myself a very lucky woman. 

And, yes, today marks week 36!

No comments:

Post a Comment