Tuesday, March 26, 2013

100%

On Saturday, Vincent took a "midterm" test for Chinese school. I was home recovering from my fall that morning. When David and the boys came home to pick me up for our afternoon plans, I asked Vincent about his test. He told me that it went well, and that he thought he got 100% on it. I was skeptical, but went along with it, saying things like, "Wow, you feel like you knew all the answers..."

Fast forward to this afternoon, which checking to see how much Chinese homework he will need to do this week, I came upon his test. Why, yes, indeed, he had gotten 100%! I was so excited, I blurted out, "For doing so well on your test, what if Mommy and Daddy help cover you for the rest of your Golden Ninja?" 

Vincent asked, "Do you mean dragon?" 

"Yes, yes, dragon, that's what I meant," I said.

His eyes widened, then we discussed how much money he has saved so far, and I told him that since he worked so hard studying for his test and did so well, we'll go ahead and spot him the rest of the money. This golden dragon is a Lego Ninjago set that costs $30, and he's been saving up for it for several months. He's short about $5. I also gave him the option to pick out something else, and he could keep saving up, but he chose to take the dragon. When he realized that I was serious about this, and his dad agreed, he gave me a big hug, and told me I'm the best Mommy ever. Admittedly, I'm not, but it sure is great to hear your kid tell you that.

And, then I snuck in, "See? Learning Chinese is getting easier and so fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment