Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Happy 3rd Birthday, Tyler!!

It's been a bit of a whirlwind last 32 hours.

Yesterday, at 1:30pm, I had to pick Vincent up from preschool. Then, I dropped him off at home with David (he worked from home), and headed back out to my dentist appointment at 2pm. At 3pm, I was done, and got a message that it was okay to go visit my friends who just had a baby 3 hours prior, a few blocks away. Of course, I had to go! I can't pass up a baby viewing, ever. Around 4pm, I headed to pick up Tyler from daycare early. Ugh, traffic. Then, it happened. I hit a curb on a tight turn and blew out one of our front tires. I'll spare you the details, but all was taken care of and Tyler made it home safely.

Now, we needed to get the tire replaced, because our spare just won't do. That meant no car for today. And, I was supposed to help a friend pick up their son from preschool today with Vincent. I made a couple of phone calls, and that was resolved. 

Soon after, I received a phone call from Jon. Seems that their sitter for Eva while he and Andrea are in the hospital with Baby #2 had to cancel. We happily agree to have Eva come for a sleepover. Boy, were our boys happy!

All around, everything worked out. Since we had to take the car to the shop, I had to cancel ProClub for this morning. I had planned a mini celebration for Tyler there with his friends, but that was no longer. Ashley was even going to make Tyler a crown, like Vincent gets at Secret Garden. Instead, he and I stayed home and had a play date with Eva! 

David took Vincent to school, then the car to the shop. They were able to shuttle him to work. The car was done by about noon, but since Vincent was expecting an after school play date, we opted to stick to that plan and let the other mom pick him up. 

Eva went home about 12pm. I fixed Tyler and I some lunch, and put up the birthday banner. Oh, and he got a balloon from Jon & Andrea. His lunch was leftover mac 'n' cheese, strawberries, and sliced turkey meat. And, I let him have watered-down orange juice.
After lunch, Tyler and I decorated his cake. Okay, I decorated, and he watched very closely.
I couldn't decide on which I like best.

After that, we grabbed a couple of books, and went upstairs to read, snuggle, and get Tyler to nap. 

While he napped, I hung out with David a little, then went to pick up Vincent. We came home, and tried to stay busy until it was time for karate. I took Vincent, while Tyler and David stayed home. After karate, we stopped at the library to drop of books (thank you, Vincent, for remembering!), then picked up David and Tyler at home to go get dinner.

While in Texas, the boys kept seeing these big McDonald's from the highway with huge playscapes outside. Each time, Tyler would shout out, "Hey, guys! McDonald's! Maybe we can go there or something. I really want to go to McDonald's." And, so, as a special birthday treat, Tyler finally got his McDonald's. Oh boy, oh boy! When we walked in, he ran up to a picture of these chicken bite things and started telling us his whole order. Check it out, he had quite the meal.
Can you see it all? Left to right, clockwise: apples, cheese burger, ketchup, fries, chicken bites with bbq sauce. Oh, and milk. He finished his apples and burger, but not the rest. We were pretty amazed by his burger consumption. I think it's his first time eating a whole one.

Back at home, we sang him "Happy Birthday" with his cake and 3 candles. He blew out the candles like a champ. The boys barely ate any cake. I don't blame them after that huge meal, which Vincent ate a bunch, too. We quickly moved on to opening his presents.
Auntie Diana and Uncle Ken got him a Little People's train book and a Thomas book with a mini train set. He loved both of them.
We got him a new pair of overalls. You can't tell from this picture, but he was actually pretty happy with them. We also got him this (large)...gosh, I don't know what to call it. It's for his Geotrax set, and you crank boulders up a ramp, then it comes swirling down, and you can dump it into a truck. He and Vincent played with it together for a little while. The set came with a DVD that has 4 short cartoons. The boys watched it before heading upstairs for bedtime.

I'd say that it turned out to be a pretty good birthday for Tyler, in spite of the challenges we were faced with. Oh the darn tight streets of Seattle. BUT! If I didn't pop the tire, David wouldn't have found out that since the tires were still considered to be in "new" condition, they replaced it for free, due to this extra coverage that David got for them when we bought the tires. Good to know. This was a good example of a not so good situation turning out well.

And, as a new 3 year old, Tyler's pretty great. He is a happy child, with a good sense of humor, a good attitude, sweet, cute, and fun to be around. He definitely has his faults, like not listening to us. Are those ears or mufflers you have on the sides of your head, kiddo?

Happy happy birthday, Ty Ty!

No comments:

Post a Comment