Saturday, May 16, 2015

Our First Hunt Family Yard Sale (aka Vincent & Tyler's Toy Sale)

OMG, I just realized, I forgot to take a picture of their set up! Ugh.

Vincent and Tyler have been asking us for, oh, more than a year to have a yard sale. A real one. Not one where they gather their stuff and we buy it off them for dirt cheap and then donate it. We finally made it happen for them. In all our relationship, this would be David and my 3rd yard sale. This is the first where we involved the children. Our main motivation was our upcoming remodel of their bedroom.

For about 2 weeks, we've been gathering things. I hesitated to do much advertising on it because I wasn't sure if it would rain this weekend or not. I finally decided on Friday to get the word out. The boys passed out little flyers to their friends, advertising a toy sale. We posted on a few places online.

In the end, we had 4 of Vincent's friends stop by, a few neighbors, and a couple of random people. The boys each raised a little money for their stuff, and we pulled in about $36 for the other stuff. The remaining items, except for a few "big ticket" items, we will take to donation. It's funny to me how hard it can be for me to make the decision to let go of some things. As the kids were organizing their stuff, I could see their hesitation on some of the stuff that had already been decided to go. But, they did a really nice job selling their things. I had to have them back off a little on the pushiness. All-in-all, I think they enjoyed it, and it was a good experience for us all. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment