Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The New School Year

I technically don't feel like we've really officially started school until Vincent's first day of kindergarten arrives (tomorrow!!). Nonetheless, it is the beginning of a new school year for our little Tyler. And, although he's been going to preschool for a few months now, this is like him officially starting preschool, since he started at the school mid-year for the previous school year. Am I making sense?

It's especially exciting for Tyler because his school opened a new location, a little further of a drive north, that we decided to move him to. It's such a beautiful, large space that they've created for the kids, with its own playground. We drove Tyler past there a couple weeks ago to see it, and he's been pretty happy to make the move.

Drop off this morning went smoothly. Vincent and I accompanied him there. This morning, Vincent, who had been going to the old location with Tyler two days a week over the summer, said to Ty, "Now Tyler, when you are all done with school today, I want you to tell me all about school, and what you did with Jayden." Um, I guess Jayden is this friend they made over the summer. And, after we dropped Tyler off, Vincent said to me, "Aw, Mama, I wish I could go to school there, too." I reminded him that he's starting kindergarten, and he quickly changed his mind.

Here's Tylie with the giant bear and little bear. He has on his "indoor" shoes. He said he had a good day, and was very happy at pick up.
As for Vincent, he and I had the morning together. We came home and played a board game. Then, I let him play on my old computer while I checked email. At 11am, we walked over to the school to find out Vincent's class assignment:
Not that this means anything to anyone except the families with these kids, and their teacher. He will know one girl, and be forced to know one boy (his mom is my friend). Well, no, we won't force him, but I'm happy the other boy is in his class.

After we checked out his classroom, I let him play on the playground for a while. My eyes started to well up as I watched him playing. He wasn't playing with any other kids, but just enjoying himself. He was climbing on this arched monkey bars thing, and when two other kids got in his way, he carefully, and patiently, worked his way around them. It made me realize how far we've come the last 5 3/4 years.

We stopped at Target to get a couple of last school supplies, and then had a quick lunch before picking Tyler up from school.

After nap/quiet time, I took the boys to Madrona playground to meet up with old friends, the Mahoneys. We haven't really seen them all summer. It was so fun to catch up, and see the kids pick up where they left off. 

Tomorrow, we will have a kindergartener. 

No comments:

Post a Comment