Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Me

This is me, having lunch by the sea with David on our honeymoon, more than 4 years ago.

I saw one of my first friends in Seattle this week. He was in town from Boston for a couple of days, and I was so fortunate to see him, even for just 30 minutes. Since then, I've been thinking a lot about my life in Seattle.

I moved to Seattle over 7 years ago. It amazes me when I think of all that has happened for me in less than a decade. Next week, David and I will have owned our house for 4 years. Four years! Wow. And, I am already thinking about plans for my second child's first birthday. Wow, again.
So, I look back to then, and look to now...
Me, single - Lived in a studio apartment with a desk, a bed, and a futon. Owned a little pickup truck that I hardly drove because I walked or took the bus to work. Worked full-time cooking in a restaurant with awesome people. Went out just about everynight after work until the bars closed (hey, it's hard to go right to sleep after getting off of work from a restaurant; one needs to unwind). Grocery bill: $50/2 weeks.
Me, dating David - Lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 desks, 2 futons, 1 bed, dining table and chairs, and a whole bunch of hockey stuff. Still had the pickup truck, but still didn't drive it much. Worked full-time cooking in a different restaurant that I loved, with some of the same awesome people. Went out most nights after work to unwind. Grocery bill: $75/week.

Me, married with no children - Lived in a 2 bedroom house which we owned with the same furniture from before. Sold the pickup truck, drove David's Jeep when needed. Still working full-time at the same place, some different people. Went out on weekend nights after work, until I got pregnant, and then I was asleep by 9pm. One cat. Grocery bill: same + cat food.
Me, husband, one child - Living in the same house, same Jeep but driving it more, new furniture + baby furniture, working full-time as a Mommy, lucky to go out past 9pm, 2 cats, cooking at home, sort of sleeping...Grocery bill: $150/week.
Me, husband, 2 children - Trying to sell the house, renting a bigger house, driving a minivan all the time, more furniture, still not working, actually going out a little more, cooking a lot at home, frustrated with two cats, lucky to get sleep. Grocery bill: I've stopped keeping track.
I don't miss the days I was single, but I do miss those friends I hung out with (most have moved away now). Somedays, I miss when David and I were just us, simply because of the ease of doing anything, but I'm not in a hurry for the day when it will be just us, again. Although, I am Asian, which means Vincent will have to take David and I in one day, and then the tables will have turned. Heeheehee.

No comments:

Post a Comment