Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Fava Bean & Shitake Risotto

It's been tough for me to motivate to cook when the house is so hot. But, we have so much wonderful, fresh produce in the house, I need to make use of it, and quickly. We are only in week 4 of 20, for farm fresh organic vegetables from Oxbow Farm. The last 3 weeks have brought us sugar snap peas, fava beans, fennel, garlic shoots, shitake mushrooms, lettuces, and more. This week's box shouldn't disappoint, either. This year, we are not hosting a pick up site, as we thought it would be less chaotic while the remodel is going on. It's the first time in several years (4 or 5??) that we'll have to pick up our box. We almost forgot last week! We do have the option of having it delivered, if we order a pizza from Pagliacci, where the boxes are dropped off this year. Dangerous.

Anyway, I digress. Back to cooking in this heat. Currently, it's 80 degrees F in our kitchen, a touch cooler than yesterday. And, it was pretty muggy yesterday. Basically, not very comfortable, especially when I was about to make it hotter with my cooking. I was determined to cook dinner and use up our fava beans. I had saved 2 weeks' worth of them. These babies were gorgeous, and delicious. Sauteed in a little browned butter, in the same pan I used to saute the shitake mushrooms, then added to creamy risotto. 

For the older boys, I left out the mushrooms. I wish they would like mushrooms. I think it's more a texture thing than a taste thing. 

I think it turned out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment