Monday, December 30, 2013

Let Them Be Little

This week, I've been thinking about New Year's resolutions. I've made a few, and voiced a couple to the kids that I'd like to instill for the family.

#1 - once a week, exact day is still TBD, we will go sugar-free, except for fruits and vegetables. 
#2 - this one was Tyler's idea, once a week, we will go screen-free. Again, exact day, TBD, but probably different than the sugar-free day.

Personal resolutions:
#1 - in bed, lights out, by 10pm, 6 days a week. 
#2 - less late night snacking (yes, totally guilty of this bad habit). I think #1 should help with this.
Lastly, as the title of this blog says, LET THEM BE LITTLE.

I like this sentence. I got it from my friend, Kami, who has been working with some of her friends on a collaborative photo blog, capturing the daily lives of their kids. It is titled 'let them be little.' It is truly so sweet to see their photos of their children being just who they are. 

This past week, this sentence really hit me, and it made me think about how I feel as if I am sometimes rushing my children to be bigger than they are. Mostly Vincent, and sometimes Tyler. Not really with Crosby, though, I'm sure I've done it. What reminded me of this was over this weekend, when Tyler and I went to get a birthday gift for his buddy. Tyler excitedly picked out this bubble making set. Personally, I loved it, too, but I questioned his choice, thinking it was too childish or little for Max. Tyler was positive that it was THE gift. It said on the box 'Age 5+.' Max turned 5 years old, so, clearly, age appropriate. Nonetheless, I thought what I thought, and even text messaged his mom to say that I will include a gift receipt.

Guess what? Max LOVED the gift. And, his older brother (almost 7 years old), and little brother loved it, too. 

This reminded me that I need to embrace my children's littleness. How will I incorporate this into my 2014 resolutions? I don't know. Maybe just being mindful of this, and trying to live in my children's moments as much as I can will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment