Friday, October 12, 2012

No School Today

Seattle Public Schools were closed today so that teachers can have one of those days where they still have to do work, but without kids. 

I originally had this plan to take the kids to visit Halina, but she was unavailable today. Next plan was a bit grand. I thought we could take the bus downtown, hop on a ferry to Bainbridge Island, and explore a bit. With rain on the forecast, I changed my mind.

We ended up taking the bus downtown, looking at books at Barnes and Noble, and watching a movie. The plan was "Finding Nemo," but when I found out it was starting later than planned, and $10 each (we've seen it already!), I changed the movie to "Hotel Transylvania." Also $10 each, but we've never seen it. Something about paying $30 to see something we've already seen, just cuz it's 3-D didn't appeal to me. Something new, on the other hand, and starting earlier than Nemo? Sold. Tyler wasn't thrilled at first, since he saw the preview and thought it might be scary. But, he trooped it out, and when it was over, he said, "I did like it!"

David met us for lunch. We opted for Gordon Biersch, since it was right there. S-l-o-w. And, we were all hungry. Eventually, we all ate. David walked us to the bus stop, and we saw our bus pull away while we approched. Luckily, the #43 runs often, and one showed up within a couple minutes.

We got home for a super late nap, but it was much needed. Vincent hung out quietly, and even drew Tyler a pretty detailed picture of a train.

The rest of the afternoon, I let the boys play PBS Kids games on my computer while I prepared dinner. We ate without David (he's working late), then I baked a small cake and cupcakes. The boys took a bath, read a book, and went off to bed.

It's been since school started that the boys and I have had a day like today. I think they were both happy to spend the time together. Vincent even said, "This was the best day ever, and the best dinner ever." Well, he says stuff like that often, but it must mean each time he says it, the day/dinner is better than the last best one. Right?

The boys asked a ton of questions on the bus ride downtown, and got a bit of attention from other riders. People sure get a kick out of those boys. Personally, I don't like strangers trying to talk it up with my kids, even if they're just being friendly. It makes me pretty uncomfortable. I'm right there with them, but I don't want them to think it'll be okay, too, if I'm not. Paranoid? We live in a decent sized city, and frankly, I've seen some whackos here. You bet I'm paranoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment