Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

The first day of our new year went pretty well, if you don't count the minor blow up David and I had towards Vincent about 30 minutes after we all got up in the morning. After Tyler's morning nap, we took the kids to REI to get them outfitted for the snow. We are determined to take them sledding (hopefully more than once) this winter. It was actually only Vincent that needs the clothes. We did get Tyler a pair of warm booties to go with his hand-me-downs. The idea of going to REI was so Vincent could run around the play area, but there were too many kids for him.

After REI, we went for lunch at a nearby restaurant. Towards the end of the meal, Tyler got pretty fussy. David and I took turns holding him. When it was time to pay, I decided to take him to walk around the restaurant. As I was holding him, I felt something damp on his legs.

Poop.

I cannot tell you the last time I had to change Tyler in a public restroom. I have even had to change out the baby wipes in my diaper bag because they had dried out. It was like we were both experiencing something new. I struggled and wrestled that little munchkin as if he was a wild animal.

The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful. The kids both took monter naps & we had QFC roasted chicken with some roasted potatoes and buttered carrots that I made.

This morning, 4am, to be exact, Tyler woke up and nursed as usual. But, he did not fall right back to sleep as usual. Instead, he cried for a while, then pooped. David cleaned him up, but Tyler was still upset and did not fall back to sleep. I went in to comfort him, and he ended up vomitting all over his bed, the floor, and me. Poor baby. After that, he seemed quite happy. His little system seems to still be a little out of whack, but otherwise he was a happy baby.

I took Vincent to a birthday party. He did a pretty good job there, but pretty much only wanted to play with one toy - the same one many other boys wanted to play with. He mostly took turns and shared, but a few times there would be a kid that would come and want a turn, but Vincent would get upset. It was so much easier to have just one kid, though. Since he was busy playing, I got to eat pizza & chat with other parents.

Finally, the highlight of our day...DINNER. Pizza, again, but I didn't know they'd have pizza at the party. AND, this was homemade pizza. My first time. Thank you, Alice Waters for your pizza dough recipe. It turned out really well. Better than I could have wished. I made one with Salumi's salame, San Marzano tomatoes, basil & gruyere cheese (that's what I had in the fridge). The other was chicken, balsamic cippolini onions, with the same tomato, basil & cheese base.

Here's David and Tyler posing with the salame pizza before it went in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment