Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ty Baby, This One's For You

Look at my big boy! Just a week from turning 18 months, Tyler is a bundle of fun and joy. He loves going down slides...Eating noodles (here he's even on a booster seat!)...Walking through bushes...Riding on swings of all kinds...And, pretending to drive.

And, a week ago, today, I made the decision that it was time to stop nursing (breastfeeding) him. It was just a sudden decision, but it kind of wasn't, at the same time. More than a week prior, I was on an antibiotic for an insect bite that grew larger than any I have seen on my body before. While on the meds, I thought it would be better if I didn't nurse Tyler. We were down to just once a day anyway. So, for 4 days, he seemed okay, though a little sad, and did ask for it several times in the mornings. After I finished my pills, I went back to nursing him. I started back on a Monday, and by Friday, I was feeling like maybe he was done, though not sure if I was.

Saturday morning, when he woke us up, I just knew that it was time.

David went to get him, and instead of bringing him into our room, he just changed his diaper and tried to play with him. Tyler was pretty upset about it, but then the next day, David brought him into our room, and I snuggled with him for a while. That seemed to comfort him enough. He did ask a few times to nurse, but by Monday or Tuesday, he stopped asking. Now, he joins us in bed after he wakes up, and we snuggle until he's ready to get up and start his day.

Our last nursing was very sweet and loving, and I'm so happy it has worked out so well for us. As with Vincent, it was a struggle...even more so, actually. I think I posted about it last year, but to recap, I had an over-active letdown (I think that's what it's called). Milk was coming down faster than he could suck. Poor little guy. On top of that, he wouldn't take a bottle. Not even from our doula, who was confident that she could get him to take one. Granted, we didnt' try that hard with the bottle. And, then there was those few days when he decided that he only wanted to nurse while I was lying down. Yeah right, kiddo! This whole mess lasted for almost the first 6 months of his life.

Thankfully, Mr. Precocious wanted to eat table foods earlier than we expected, which helped give me some relief. And, soon, things just worked itself out somehow. I don't know how. And, we went on to have a beautiful mommy-baby nursing relationship for so much longer than I expected. I'm so content with how it has all turned out, and I love being able to cuddle with my baby each morning. I keep thinking that I will feel sad, but I don't. And, I think that there's something wrong because I am not sad, but truthfully, it's not wrong. It is all right. It happened just as it should have.

Thank you, thank you, sweet, sweet Tyler Baby. I love you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment