Tuesday, April 4, 2017

T-Minus 1 Week

My littlest dumpling is turning 4 years old in one week. Wow. Time truly feels like it zoomed by at light speed. It's an especially significant year because as he turns 4, I will not be pregnant, unlike when dumpling #2 turned this age. I am done making babies (*sigh*).

I've been thinking a lot about this upcoming birthday. Age 4 isn't a really a milestone year. Like, 5 is halfway to a decade old, 10 is two-digits, 18 is voting age, 21 is drinking age, and so on. But, in our family, turning 4 means you get a "big" birthday party. This is the age I set as when I should be able to throw my kid a birthday party that doesn't only involve family members and maybe one set of neighbors if they happen to be home when I call them that very day to come over for cake. This is the birthday party that he gets to pick his guests, I make a big stink about decorations, and party favors, and cake, and food, and, and, and...

Unfortunately, being the youngest of 3, his Mama has grown tired. I decided that he can have a big party, but it will have to be on his actual birthday, which is a TUESDAY during spring break, and not on a weekend day some time before or after the actual day. If you are a parent, you know that throwing a party on a different day means you end up having 2 birthday celebrations. I did that for big bros in December and February. Along with Christmas, Daddy's birthday, Valentine's Day, etc. Tired. So, my sweet, sweet baby dumpling will get a special celebration, but only once. Let's be sure, though, it's most definitely not for lack of love, but for lack of energy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment